Since we just completed the 2014 Winter Olympics I thought it would be fun to post some facts about them. I love watching the Olympics no matter what season. For the winter games my favorite has always been ice skating and I did watch most of the competitions, but I have to say my new favorite is the snowboarding events! If I was younger I would definitely give it a try, but I’ll just enjoy watching it instead! Congrats to all those who represented the US this year! A huge shout out to all the medal winners!
1. The Winter Olympic sports are alpine skiing, biathlon (cross-country skiing and target shooting), bobsled, cross-country skiing, curling, figure skating, freestyle skiing, ice hockey, luge, Nordic combined (ski jumping and cross-country skiing), skeleton, ski jumping, snowboarding, and speed skating.
2. The first Winter Olympic Games were held in Chamonix, France in 1924.
3. Norway has won the most medals (263) at the Winter Games.
4. Up until 1994 the Olympics were held every four years. Since then, the Winter and Summer games have alternated every two years.
5. No country in the Southern Hemisphere has ever hosted a Winter Games.